Hi everyone, and hello June!
I love the summer months it has long light days and lots of great fruits, and not to mention a perfect time to enjoy ice creams.
I hope you all are doing well and look forward to summer.
Sharing a new recipe on my blog today, a lovely pink strawberry ice cream cake in a sheet pan, with a super soft vanilla cake on the bottom.
This lovely strawberry ice cream cake is topped with dark chocolate, I love this combination.
I made my own strawberry jam for this ice cream, it is made in less than 7 minutes, and so incredibly delicious.
I do not recommend to use storebought strawberry jam as it will contain to much sugar and it will mess up the amazing fresh flavor.
I love this combination, of a soft sponge cake and strawberry ice cream, I hope you love it as well, enjoy ♥
Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
Vanilla sponge cake
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla-paste
- 1 cup ( 150 g ) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 750 grams of frozen strawberries
- juice and zest of 1 or two lemons ( preferably organic)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 1/3 cups ( 600 ml) cold heavy cream
- 10 ounce (250ml) cold sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, cold
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 750-gram homemade strawberry jam ( see recipe above↑)
- Dark chocolate ( optional) or whipped cream
Directions for the vanilla sponge cake;
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease a medium-size baking sheet pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip up the eggs and sugar for 8 minutes or until fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small cup add oil, buttermilk, and vanilla, give it a whisk and set aside for now.
- As soon as the egg/sugar mixture is fluffy, stop the mixer and sift in 1/2 the flour mixture, fold in the flour mixture carefully with a spatula
- Sift in the remaining flour mixture, followed by the oil-buttermilk and vanilla mixture, carefully fold until most of the flour is no longer visible ( do not over-do the fold in as you want this cake to be light and fluffy)
- Pour the batter evenly into prepared pan and use a spatula to distribute
- Bake in the center of the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely.
Directions for the Strawberry Jam;
- In a saucepan, add 500 gram of the frozen strawberries, lemon zest, freshly squeezed lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch.
- With a wooden spoon combine the strawberry-mixture and place the saucepan over medium heat and heat the mixture for about 5 minutes. ( stir at times so the strawberry-mixture doesn´t stick to the bottom of the pan)
- After 5 minutes add the remaining frozen strawberries →250 gram and with a wooden spoon combine, heat over medium heat for 2 minutes more or until the strawberries are soft, remove from heat.
- Transfer to an airtight jar and refrigerate until completely cold
- The jam will keep up to 1 week.
Directions for the Strawberry Ice Cream;
- Place your heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk in the freezer for 15 minutes before you start making the ice cream.
- Add the cold heavy cream in a large bowl, use your hand mixer and beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Stop the mixer and add in the cold sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, vanilla and 1/2 of the strawberry jam ( p.s you can add all of the strawberry jam at once as I add a little at the time to taste and see when it is enough, I added in all of the jam at the end as it was delicious!)
- Mix on low/medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the remaining strawberry jam if you have not added it all when you mixed it, fold it in the strawberry ice cream ( try to break up the large pieces of strawberries)
- Pour the ice cream right away over the completely cooled sponge cake, level it with a spatula and freeze for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- 15-30 minutes before serving,( depending on how warm it is in your kitchen) take the ice cream cake out of the freezer, drizzle the top with dark chocolate, slice and enjoy.
Have a wonderful day you all and a beautiful summer, Love Manuela xoxo
Scroll for more pictures↓