These are one of my favorite cookies for the holidays, they are traditional Norwegian cookies.
In case you have never tried one before,the flavor is similar to that of vanilla cake but with a very crispy edge.
NORWEGIAN WAFFLE COOKIES
- 4 LARGE EGGS, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 EGG YOLK
- 2 Â¼ CUPS (270 G) SUPERFINE OR GRANULATED SUGAR
- 2 Â½ CUPS + 1 TABLESPOON (300 G) CORN STARCH
- 2 Â¼ CUPS (250 G) ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
- 17 TABLESPOONS (250 G) BUTTER, MELTED
- 1 TABLESPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT
- In a standing mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment, mix the eggs, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla bean paste until pale and airy.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, potato starch, and baking powder; whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, followed by the melted butter.
- Mix to combine, about 1 minute.
- Heat your waffle iron. Grease if necessary and ladle the batter into the waffle iron.
- Cook for about 1Â½ minutes, until the waffle cookies are light golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
- The waffles will keep fresh for several days in an airtight container.