Hi everyone; I hope you are all having an amazing summer!
Sharing another one ofÂ those typical Norwegian Classics.
They call it for ” world best cake “ in NorwegianÂ we call it for Â “Verdens beste”
It is a thin sponge layer cake that is so unique from other layered cakes. It is made with several egg yolks, making it so rich and fluffy.
I spread a generous amount of whipped meringue over the cake batter and sprinkle the meringue with sliced almonds. After baking, the cake is sliced and filled â my goodness, one bite of
this cake and you will understand why it called the World’s Best Cake âitâs just magical!
When it comes to this cake, this cake always looks kind of messy, It’s all about the taste, have that in mind when you make this cake!
Hope you love the cake, with love from Norway!
WORLDâS BEST CAKE, WITH LOVE FROM NORWAY
- 1 STICK AN 3 TABLESPOONS (150 G) UNSALTED BUTTER, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- Â²ââ CUP (150 G) Â SUGAR
- 6 EGG YOLKS, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- Â¹ââ CUP + 2 TABLESPOONS (100 ML) MILK, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 Â¹ââ CUPS (150 G) ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, SIFTED
- 1 Â½ TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
- 6 EGG WHITES
- 1 CUP (225 G) SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE
preparation; for the cake
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C). Line an 8 x 12-inch or 9 x 13 -inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with whisk attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and add sugar, mixing until fluffy and pale in color, About Â 4-5 minutes.
- Add the 6 egg yolks and vanilla and continue beating for 1Â½ minutes. Do not over mix.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a silicon spatula.
- Sift the flour mixture over the batter, add the milk, and gently combine the batter with a spatula to ensure the flour mixture has been fully incorporated into a smooth consistency.
- Using a spatula or offset spatula, spread a layer of batter evenly in prepared baking pan about Â¹ââ inch thick. Set aside while you make the meringue
- In prepared bowl, beat egg whites on low-medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar a tablespoon at a time beating on medium speed until the frosting becomes fluffy and glossy, and holds a firm peak.
- Add the vanillaÂ and mix just until combined.
- Using an offset spatula spread the meringue mixture evenly over the unbaked cake batter.
- Sprinkle top of meringue with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes in the middle of the oven, or until meringue is golden brown and puffed up slightly.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Once the cake has cooled, divide, with a sharp knife, in half creating two 8 x 6 inch portions.
- Place one portion on a large plate with the meringue facing down.
- Spread a generous layer of filling ( diplomat cream , you find the recipe here) Â over the cake layer.
- Place the second cake layer on top of filling, meringue facing up.
- This cake may be served either immediately or refrigerated one hour to serve chilled.
- This cake is delicious with freshÂ strawberries, and dust it with some powdered sugar if you like, optional.
CUT, SERVE, SHARE WITH OTHERS AND ENJOY.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY AND SUMMER YOU ALL.
LOVE MANUELA XO
YOU CAN ALSO FIND THE RECIPE IN MY NEW ENGLISH BOOK, LOVE MANUELA THE BAKING BOOK! WE SHIP WORLDWIDE, ORDER YOUR COPY HERE.